The Ecole Navale was built in 1830 following an order from King Louis-
From the knights of Saint-Jean-de-Jerusalemm, who in 1532 had created an
informal international school of the sea in Malta to the Angouleme College
created in 1818, where company’s of officers from Toulon, Brest and
Rochefort would complete their training and the imperial colleges of 1810, the training of officers has never ceased evolving to adapt to the needs of the navy.
The Ecole Navale was established in the natural harbour of Brest onboard the vessels Orion and Borda. The current site of the college was not utilised until 1915. Three vessels have been used to train cadets, all of which have borne the previously named scientist and naval officer of the eighteenth
On July 15 1923 Alexandre Millerand, president of France presented the Ecole Navale with the French Colours and in 1936 the college moved into its present location above the natural harbour of Brest, but had to vacate the premises briefly in May 1940, during the Second World War, although officer training did continue in other locations in France, Great Britain and North Africa. However the College suffered extensive damage suffered in 1945 therefore lengthening the time period between the Second World War finishing and training recommencing at the Ecole Navale.
A seaplane base was subsequently opened in the bay with the Ecole Navale and they proved to be perfect partners as the air base could offer future naval officers aeronautical courses after their other naval and academic studies, an important asset to war fighting strategies of the time.
The buildings of the current Ecole Navale were inaugurated in 1965 by General De Gaulle, the then president of France.